Sunday, June 9, 2024

~

Chapter Fifty-five

~

I had to ask my sweetie, my mate to be, to take me directly to my cabin, our cabin, but she said she was stayin’ with me, so we were droppin’ the others off first. At the inn, standin’ outside in the snow, Nuel glared at me. Jam smirked behind her back.

“Whatta ya mean, ya’re not gonna meet with Ike?”

I could do without the attitude. “I’ll meet him. I’m just exhausted now. Gotta lay down or I’m gonna die.”

“In a couple hours?” she asked.

I could easily get back into hatin’ the hen.

“Ya want me to come with ya?” Jam asked.

Zia said, “I’ll make do. I’m sure Ezra will too, but ya can invite yarself to help her in the kitchin.”

Nuel would have glared another epoch if Zia hadn’t put the Snowcat in gear, lettin’ it nudge forward a few inches, slammin’ shut the door Nuel had been holdin’ open. I waved at ’em, immagin’ Nuel stompin’ after the others in a near-tirade.

Be fun to see Jam in an apron.

“That hen could use a Prozac,” Zia said.

I smiled. Didn’t know that medicine worked for meanness. I patted my sweetie’s thigh. If we’re mate-bound, I assume I could get away with that florid familiarity. Her hand layered mine, and thankfully not in a death grip, breakin’ unwelcome metacarpals. I would’ve hated havin’ two wrecked hands.

She said she had hot stew in a kettle at the cabin. Surprised me it didn’t sound enticin’. I told her I needed to lay down, really, before I died. She shared a pouty-face with me.

The few minutes to my place, maybe our place, I enjoyed the extraordinary beauty of the Hamlet under its pure white blanket. The limbs of the ancient pines stooped, reachin’ for the ground, buckets of purity clasped to every bough.

“I’m so glad to be home,” I gushed, with a hint of a sob. I’ve turned into such a wuss.

“Glad ya made it back to me,” Zia said. “It would’ve ticked me off if ya died up there.”

“Last thin’ in the world I’d want to do to ya.” My sight turned watery for a couple seconds. I was turnin’ into a giant super wuss. I could almost curl into a ball without tusks, it’s so embarrassin’.

She pulled the tracks of the Snowcat scary-close to the porch. After shuttin’ it down, she hurried around and helped me out. A wuss, and almost helpless.

“Don’t ya worry about me helpin’ ya in the tiniest bit,” she said, doin’ her mind readin’ thin’ again. That’s gonna be helpful in our relationship. “Ya should still be in the hospital, and I know it. Ya let me do for ya.”

She wouldn’t let me try the stairs at all, lifted me like a youngling. But it felt so good in her arms.

Inside, she wiped my feet, stomped her own on the mat before helpin’ me upstairs. My stomach twisted and rolled, head throbbed. I think the pain made it into the ends of my hair.

She did more the undressin’ than I did, pulled a fleece nightshirt over my head, which I didn’t know I owned, and I was in bed before I realized my sweetie had already seen all of me there is to see. As I got my dreads properly laid out ’cross my pillow, I wondered when the reverse might occur. A thought, I’d never thought, I’d ever have in my head.

Hours later I woke. No light, other than the moon’s reflection off the snow, teased the windows. But Zia was snuggled up close to me. Her long hand lay softly across my forearm, as though makin’ sure I was really there. Ready to nurse me if needed.

~

Nuel

~

Ike and Bliar glanced up as we entered, stood as we drew near. Ponwr and Frip, from nearby tables, strode hard toward us, took turns grippin’ Jam with tight hugs. The two looked more exhausted than when they strode away from us that day at the rail station. Though I read a sense of elation, relief in ’em, seein’ Jam.

Of course they didn’t offer me a hug. Should it come from me? Bein’ raised human, I don’t know the protocol. So I turned to the others.

Ike, who looked an edge worse than the two trolls, took the few steps and drew me in. Bliar waited his turn. So at least they were open to givin’ me a warm welcome.

“Where’s Kriz?” Ike bleated, too quickly, ruinin’ it for me.

Jam answered for me. “He’s half-dead still. Had to go get some rest. But he was a grinnin’ fool seein’ Zia, and vice versa.”

Ponwr and Frip gave each other a look. Clearly worldly business had kept ’em out of the loop. Seemed it took a second for it to sink in with Ike, too.

“I’ll explain later,” Jam troll-whispered at his two friends.

The twenty or so locals sittin’ nearby snickered. Not in an insultin’ way. More knowin’ly. An orc had already set a mug of coffee for me at Ike’s table, and a larger mug, tea I’m sure, at the trolls’ table.

In a bit of an embarrassed silence, the three trolls shuffled off to their table, and I joined Ike and Bliar.

I hit my coffee first, to scare away some of the Range cold. I noted Ike openin’ his mouth, but Bliar put his hand swiftly over his youngling’s.

“How’re ya doin’, darlin’?”

I’m no fool. Bliar knew Ike was gonna jump into business without any social niceties.

Maybe he’s on the spectrum too! That had never occurred to me before. Would explain some thin’s.

Oh. My. Gosh.

It certainly did.

I mumbled a cliche. Asked how their flights were. Commented how beautiful it is here, with the snow. Ike couldn’t stand it any longer though.

“So, what the bloody dragon pooh is on Kriz’ mind?”

“He’s yar cousin. Don’t ask me.” That may have come out of my mouth a little fast, and less than tactfully. I clamped my eyes shut, and called myself a few thin’s Papa wouldn’t approve of.

“Ya’ve been with him. What did he tell ya?” Ike didn’t appear insulted.

I took in a slow breath. “He was worried about ya.” I left that to hang out there.

“Me?” Ike stuttered.

I asked him what he thought he was doin’ here?

His face turned a little blank, which confused me. Then he looked at his pa, and opened his hands in the universal, “Well?”

I felt a little more confused now than I had before.

Even if I’m an ogre, I’m not sure ogres often turn purple in the face like Bliar did. The bull was clueless too. How could these leaders of a good half million ogres be such dunces? Should I spit it out, that Kriz felt the idjit needed a hen at his side? That he needed to draw his nose out of business that was none of his?

Instead of makin’ a decision about the grander landscape, I sipped at my coffee. “Ya stayin’ here at the inn?” I asked after.

“Might as well check on my place,” Ike said.

“Ya have a guest room?” I asked. The cold washed just a bit more from my face.

Bliar started blubberin’ without formin words. He reached inside his vest, drew out an enormous ring of keys. “Let me give ya a key,” he finally got out.

I think Ike stared at his pa’s hairy knuckles strugglin’ to remove a key from the others, just as I did. Was Ike holdin’ his breath, like I was? About to have a cardiac?

“Well.” Ike stuttered worse than Kriz ever did. “Of course ya’re welcome. At. Uh. My place.”

“Somethin’ to eat first, before the two of ya head out?” Bliar managed through a clearly tight throat.

My stomach took the invitation to growl. I hadn’t even realized I was hungry. For some reason I looked over at the trolls’ table. An enormous pile of roasted crickets lay in the center of their table on a bright-pink platter, and they were noshin’ down, heads leanin’ in, conspirin’ like three nine-foot-tall pirates.

Hopefully Kriz and Zia were their first topic of conversation, not me and Ike.


No comments:

Post a Comment