Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Blurb


I buy way too many books. I read a hundred blurbs for every one I buy. I've published 38 books of my own...so I've spent my time on the torture rack.

I've joined a blurb and cover review group in Facebook...so I'm seeing a lot of draft blurbs now.

I wrote the following comment in frustration. Maybe I'll go back and delete it.

First intrigue me: dragons and magic;
Introduce the MC without a cliche;
What is her conflict?
What happens if she fails.

That's all the blurb needs.

I find too much in blurbs. We try to get fancy (and try to explain too much of the plot). Drop the prose. 

Look at the ing words...they'll point out where you're prosing.
believing/giving/insisting/struggling/shaping/depending/coming 

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

The blurb is no time to be literary (sound like a writer) :) 
Stand up, turn around, sit, and act the marketer.



2 comments:

  1. I’d better save this if you intend to delete it! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...I was talking about my indelicate ranting on the FB post...I don't mind ranting my head off on my own blog...it's kind of expected, right?

      Delete