Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Archaic Grammar Rules


Greetings from the Hermit WRiter.

There are a lot of writing rules. It's nice when an expert says you can ignore some of the older ones. From my most favoritist grammar and style book, Woe Is I, by Patricia O'Conner. She doesn't give me a pass on my fragments and run-ons, but I forgive her.

  • Splitting an infinitive ...he decided to discreetly mention dating in the workplace.
     
  • Ending a sentence with a preposition
     
  • Plural forms of: data (datum), agenda, erotica, insignia, opera
     
  • Verb does not have to come after subject
     
  • Sentences may begin with and or but
     
  • While technically more correct...but stuffy...the alternative is grammatically correct

  • It is I ... It is me
  • That’s he ... That’s him
  • It’s she ... It’s her

  • I too ... Me too


Leave me a comment and suggest a post.


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting the new blog. I still worry about all the grammar rules and crap. I sometimes wish I could just write and worry about the grammar later😉.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem doing that. I see that style discussed a lot. It isn't my style, but I'm a little strange to start out.

      Delete