Thursday, January 25, 2018

Backstory


Greetings from the Hermit WRiter.

Nancy Kress in Write Great Fiction says the following about backstory:

"Like a TV commercial, it lacks immediacy and interrupts the story line. What it does do…"

  • Supply history
  • Foreshadow
  • Characterize
  • Tantalize
    • Brief detail inserted into current scene
    • Inserted paragraph
    • Flashback
    • Expository lump

Use it judiciously. Best to let it trickle into your exposition when the information is necessary.


The best place NOT  to use backstory … first pages of your story. Start with immediacy.


Leave me a note. What would you like discussed?

3 comments:

  1. Aaah I've read this article by Nancy Kress. I used to subscribe to Writer's Digest in the last decade. I even won a place and honorable mention in a WD competition with 19000 contestants. This always reads well in my portfolio! I'd like to read about "voice". Thanks for this blog. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's something I quite often have to bring up when I'm critiquing work. People often dump histories into their stories at the worst possible times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with tricklng in the backstory where needed, rather than trying to explain everyting at once.

    If you have any brilliant marketting techniques, I'd be interested to hear them. I'm rubbish at that.

    ReplyDelete