Friday, January 19, 2018

Tags (Direction) - A Checklist


Greetings from the Hermit WRiter.

  • Minimalism is good
  • Get it early in the dialogue block
    It doesn't have to come at the end of a complete sentence
  • Mix initiating dialogue blocks with the tag
  • They should disappear to the reader
    Said Tiffany - is jolting - counter to how we speak
  • Never, Ever, Ever use verb-noun attribution
    "I'll see about that," said Tom.
  • They should be simple
  • Have a good reason to use anything but 'said'
  • Use either attribution or direction, not both
    "I'll see about that," Tom said.
    "I'll see about that." Tom winked.
  • Mix attribution and direction judiciously
  • Don't overdo either attribution or direction
  • If context identifies the speaker, skip the attribution
  • Don't forget punctuation between dialogue and tag
  • Keep consistent
  • Each speaker gets her own paragraph (attribution)
    Never mix another character's direction/monologue unless writing in deep POV and the action can't be confused between characters
    "I killed him." Wait. What? "He hurt my feelings."
  • If your tag uses an adverb, you aren't selecting the right verb

Tags serve only one purpose. No other. They are to clue the reader which character just spoke. Tags ideally disappear. Studies show readers completely ignore Joe said, Mary said constructions. 


Direction is the description/setting/environment between our dialogue.


2 comments:

  1. My writings are littered with 'said' 'asked' 'declared' and so on. I could try to cut down on the 'said', I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to use action so I don't have to use a tag, unless necessary. All good advise.

    ReplyDelete